Saturday, June 6, 2009

830 Flavors

Last night, I tried to buy a phone but the phone company's computers were down. So instead, we went out for ice cream. We went to this heladeria that's in the Guiness Book of World Records for having the most flavors of ice cream, 830 flavors to be exact. In truth, there are only about 100 out at a time, but it was pretty spectacular. The owner is a Portuguese man who is super sweet (appropriate for an ice cream shop, no? Forgive me, I can't make puns in Spanish yet so I'm feeling deprived). When he found out that this was my first time in Venezuela, he walked along the counter with me and gave me tastes of some of the more unusual flavors, including:
-corn
-caraota (black beans)
-amor eternal (a cocktail)
-regional (a beer)
and several fruits whose names I unfortunately can't remember. There was also an amazingly spicy chili pepper flavor from which we all took very very small tastes. As we all stood there trying to quench the burn with our ice cream cones, he laughed and gave us a ginger flavor that made it disappear immediately. He then gave me a signed flavor list and I took a picture with him and his Guinness books. JC (the prof from UCV) has it and he's on his way back to Caracas, but I'll post it when I get it.

Yesterday morning, we had a meeting with the chief of the Malariology Division in Mérida state. He's in charge of entomological studies. He was very interested in the project, and now we have about 7 years' worth of reactive entomological surveillance information as well as the use of the division's truck and one person to survey with us. In exchange, I may have to appear on TV or radio with him as a publicity thing for dengue control. Given my Spanish grammar, I'm sort of skeptical about whether this last part is a wise move for them. But I'll let you all know if I become a big star in the entomology world.

No comments:

Post a Comment